Sunday, 28 April 2013

Army vs Navy

Rugby was a pretty unknown sport to me until I moved to London. Well, I moved not just London. But Twickenham. The place for England's national rugby stadium. Among rugby fans across the world the Twickers stadium is as famous as Wembley is for football.

11 years on I have been to Twickenham stadium a whole 3 times. An event 5+ years ago that I can't remember what it was, last year for the England vs Australia international game and yesterday for the UK Army vs the Navy game.

There were 74,000 people in the stadium watching these military men playing rugby! In a couple of years little CotW may visit an event of this scale and feel the goosebumps when 74k people are belting out God Save the Queen.

Daddy to be loves rugby and used to play until he dislocated his hip. But even he wasn't sure how the Army v Navy game could attract such a big audience.
Apparently the rugby wasn't amazing, but a more enthusiastic crowd is hard to find. Intimidating at times as there were a lot of very masculine men (and women!). But overall a good atmosphere. There is clearly a lot of tradition and pride at stake in this encounter of military titans.

The Army won. They mostly do. Our host was very happy as he's an army guy. We saw some crazy outfits and it was a good day out with friends.

That said, it may be a couple of years before I visit Twickenham again. No loss.
Army and Navy rugby teams battling it out at Twickenham

No comments:

Post a Comment