Monday, 15 April 2013

2013 Highlights

Last night, Aussie Daddy to Little CotW went to bed unusually late and sounds of despair and elation frequently came from where he was parked in front of the telly. It was golf. Not just any tournament, but the final day of the US Masters in Augusta, Georgia.

Three Aussie players fighting for the top places. Apparently, no Australian has ever won this particular tournament. I realised that it was big and kept quiet. In fact, by 10.30pm I was sound asleep on the sofa and didn't wake up until it was clear that Adam Scott, one of the Aussie golfers, was in a Play Off against a much older and less sympathetic looking Argentinian. This was not just big. This was huge. To stay even more quiet, I went to bed. But one hour or so later (no clue what time it was) a very happy Aussie daddy came to bed announcing that Adam Scott had won.

This makes 2013 a very special year for any Australian. And little CotW, you're on the Aussie team too. Congratulations!

As 2013 will be your year, it prompted me to think of what highlights there have been so far. Here's my list. Feel free adding to it!

-The Royal Baby - Kate and William's first born is due in July. It's great to follow Kate's pregnancy in all the papers knowing what I will look like in 2 months time (or maybe not!)
-Coldest winter in Britain since 1947. March was colder than December, January and February. Utterly miserable!
-Sweden's Johan Olsson won the 50km cross-country skiing race at the World Championships in Italy. As big in Sweden (and Norway) as Adam Scott's win of the US Masters.
-Baroness Thatcher has passed away at the age of 87. She used to be the Prime Minister of the UK in the late 1970's and 1980's. It's big news here and now in the UK but I'm not sure you will ever know that much about her.
-Samsung is selling more SmartPhones than Apple. I really wonder if SmartPhones will be such a big part of your life as it is of ours?
-Skellefteå (your mum's hometown) is in the final of the Swedish 'premier league'/Elitserien of ice hockey for the third year running. This year against the arch rivals from the north, Luleå. Best of 7 games wins the tournament. 2-0 to Skellefteå in matches as I'm writing this. If they win, it will be the first time they've won this league since 1978. It means a lot!

I will stop there. We clearly have to revisit this list as the year goes on.

1 comment:

  1. It's a really great day, finally the hockey team got their GOLD!!!

    Hugs from your hometown :)

    ReplyDelete