Monday, 14 October 2013

Vaccination & How Mum Failed the Doctor's Visit

Last week little Citizen of the World, on the day when you turned 8 weeks, we 'celebrated' by visiting the doctor for your 8 week check-up. To save us from yet one more visit to the GP Centre, we combined the doctor appointment with the first vaccination.

As your mum, I failed at the first hurdle by bringing you sleeping into the GP. Bad idea. The GP gave me a seriously not happy look. To my defence I can only say that it's incredibly hard timing a baby's feeding and sleeping to the exact time of a doctor's appointment.

As I rapidly woke you up and undressed you - both activities in the top-10 list of  things you don't like - the crying and wriggling reached unprecedented levels. To check your eyes there was no other way but for me to breast feed you so that you were still enough for the doctor to shine her instrument on your eyes.

By this stage I was nearly dripping by sweat and feeling very stressed by the whole situation. We must have stayed at least 20 minutes with the GP. Anyone who's been to a GP visit will know that it's a VERY LONG TIME. Usually you're in and out within less than five minutes - at least my experience.

If meeting the GP wasn't stressful enough, next followed the vaccination. First of course, we had to wait in the waiting room - full of sick people! Still sweaty, no longer breast feeding, with you screaming again, it felt like we were waiting for a life time.

As the nurse called us in I felt pretty shaky. It hit home that I had to pull myself together and not show any nerves for the injections that you would be given. That is incredibly hard! I go blank as a sheet having my own blood taken. How on earth can I be the rock that you need when you're getting an injection!?!

We somehow managed. Both of us! It helped that I could feed you. We both kept busy and focused on the nipple. In hindsight I wish I hadn't looked at your face when they needle stung. It's utterly heart breaking seeing your child in pain.

As your mum, attending your vaccination, I feel that I have passed a major test on the curricula for Being a Mum. Little CotW, having your vaccination is unfortunately one of those things in life you just have to endure. We have a few more coming.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Sophia. Phil came for Michael's first vaccination and never came back again. My first worst moment when my hand slipped when breastfeeding Michael and my little fingernail cut his nose. That was worse for me because I did it!

    ReplyDelete